A toy shopping cart is a very necessary piece of equipment when working with pediatrics. It can be used for many things during imaginative play, and makes the child forget that they are working.
When you go shopping, you can work on walking with the cart assisting. You will have to squat to pick up things off of the floor, or reach up high to get things off of a high shelf. You can work on upper extremity strengthening depending on how heavy the objects are that you are shopping for.
It is important to have a very sturdy and stable cart though. The Little Tikes Shopping Cart , although plastic, has a good wide base so that it is not very tippy. You can add some weights or sand bags to the bottom to increase its resistance and its stability.
The shopping cart is a good way to incorporate heavy work into a sensory diet.
- Reach and grasp
- Lower extremity strengthening
- Upper extremity strengthening
- Upper extremity range of motion
- Heavy work
Have you seen these
Latest posts by Therapy Fun Zone (see all)
- Using Pennies and Coins in Therapy - January 1,
- Wrapping and Taping - November 23,
- Rolling Cart with Drawers - July 31,
- Using zippered bags - June 28,
- Writing OT notes digitally - January 9,