Using a scooter board is great for strengthening both the arms and the trunk / core. Sometimes just being on the scooter board is fun all by itself, but other times you need to provide kids with a purpose and motivation to move the scooter board from one place to another.
Here is a short list of some fun activities to do while on the scooter board.
- Body Bowling. Set up bowling pins at one end of the room, and have the child ride the scooter board down to knock them over.
- Fishing. Scatter magnetic fish around the floor and have the child go find them all.
- Superman catch.
- Pull the child around with a rope or a hula hoop.
- Do a puzzle. Have the puzzle pieces at one end of the room, and the puzzle board at the other end.
- Sorting. Have bean bags or other objects at one end of the room that can be sorted into containers at the other end of the room.
- Shopping. Place play food around the room, and you tell them what they need to find and get.
- Obstacle course of things you need to scoot around.
- Place cones around the room, and give the child ping pong balls that they have to place on top of the cones.
- Follow a path of tape placed on the floor.
- Upper extremity strengthening
- core strengthening
- sensory-motor — proprioception and vestibular
- motor planning
- visual perceptual – visual scanning