Winter in Southern California is orange season, and the smell of citrus is just wonderful. I made an orchard play dough mat and made some orange and lemon play dough to go along with it. To make the experience even better, I added lemon essential oil to the yellow play dough and citrus/orange essential oil to the orange play dough.
Print out and laminate the play dough mats and then you can make little oranges and lemons out of the play dough and place them in the trees.
The play dough recipe is:
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 3/4 cup water
- yellow and red food coloring
- lemon and orange essential oil
Start off before you heat the sauce pan, and mix the baking soda, corn starch and water. Then add your food coloring (yellow for yellow, and yellow and red for orange).
Next put the pan on a medium heat and stir constantly. It will start to bubble and then it will start to clump up. Once it is in a solid mass, you can take it off of the heat and turn out the dough onto a plate to cool. After it is cool enough to knead, you can add 2-3 drops of essential oil. Add lemon oil to the yellow play dough and citrus oil to the orange colored play dough.
Now you can have fun playing in your orchard. You can place the oranges in the trees and then harvest them into a container. Try using chopsticks or clothespins to harvest your oranges and lemons.
- fine motor
This post is part of a series of 12 months of sensory dough. Check out all of the other doughs that have been made this month at the other blogs.
- Lemon Lime Scented Cloud Dough | Lemon Lime Adventures
- Taste Safe Chocolate Cinnamon Scented Sensory Dough | Bare Feet on the Dashboard
- Rose Scented Flower Dough | It’s A Long Story
- Red Velvet Chocolate Scented Play Doh and Valentine’s Themed Play | HappyandBlessedHome.com
- Rose Scented Dough | The Life of Jennifer Dawn
- Peaches & Cream Coconut Oil Playdough | Powerful Mothering
- Lemonade Playdough | Preschool Inspirations
- Ice Cream Play Dough Invitation | Study at Home Mama
- Invitation to create Jasmine Tea Playdough | Squiggles and Bubbles
- Music Inspired Vanilla & Chocolate Scented Dough | Witty Hoots
- Green Nature Scented Dough | Peakle Pie
- Edible Scented Salt-Free Rainbow Play Dough | Preschool Powol Packets
Fruity Scented Dough | In The Playroom
- Citrus Orchard Play Dough with printable | Therapy Fun Zone
- Epsom Salt Rose Dough Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tail
- Green Tea Scented Play Dough Still Playing School
- Grape Kool-Aid Scented Play Dough from Stir the Wonder
- Body Wash Scented Play Dough | Sugar Aunts
- Pink Lemonade Play Dough | The Pleasantest Thing
- Calming Lavender Scented Sensory Dough | Raising Lifelong Learners
Looking to find printable activities? You can find them in the community shop
**** I often will link to things on Amazon. These are usually affiliate links that will pay me a couple of dollars if you happen to buy something while there. Any money made through the Amazon links goes back into this site and helps us keep it going. Thank You.